Saturday, February 20, 2010

Rock Climbing

Since I was a little, I'm not an active person. I mean I do run around chasing my friends when i was kid and was a boy scout but never a sportsman. My dad once was concern about this so he took me to play football at Righa Royal and I end up enjoying the sea view and seeing people swimming at the large pool. I am not a fan of football. I know I'll anger some football fans if I say the game is kind of pointless. But I did spent my entire PE periods during my school years playing football, for four years. People always say, you're macho and a real man if you play and love football. I think it's a total bullshit. There are a lot of macho and real man who are not into football as much out there.

I've always wanted to take up sports but I found that I can never been good at any. Until my friend told me about Rock Climbing. She's in love with climbing till she got an internship with Blocx, a company that made those climbing trails. She always talked about how fun climbing is so I told her I'd give it a try. I told her that ages ago because we both can't find the perfect time to climb together but yesterday another friend of mine, Sophie, asked if I would be interested to join her climbing. I said yes!

We climbed at Camp 5, a rock climbing 'facility' at One Utama. I had to filled up a form and given a Guest card. I think you need a Host, a person who has knowledge on climbing or a member, to entitled you as a Guest. Alif was my host yesterday, Sophie's friend. Alif used to be my tuitionmate during my PMR year (2005) and he's now some sort of a well known person. He told me I look familiar so I told him why and he remembered. I bet he lied because I rarely talk at that tuition center. 

Anyway, climbing is fun! I tried the easy wall first. I thought when you climb, you can just grip and step on any "rocks" but it's actually colour coded. I mean, when you climb you choose which rock colour for your trail. Alif was my belay, i don't know how to explain this but go here if you wanted to know more : Belaying. He was my belay for the tall wall too. I pitied him because it took me a looooooong time to reached the top. Hey cut me some slack, it was my first time right? Furthermore, I have zero stamina since I didn't exercise for almost a year now. So I guess my muscles were in shocked because till now I can feel my muscles cramp.

Overall, it was a fun experience. I want to go again for sure and I have a feeling this will be a hobby of mine and for the first time, I enjoyed a sport. To me, I find that rock climbing is fun because it involve your mentality as well as your stamina. When I stepped on my first rock, all I can think of to reach the top (of course at times I felt like giving up but Alif kept shouting at me from below). I didn't even noticed I've sweat, when I lowered myself down I was surprised to see my hair and my back were all wet. I smiled and satisfied. I've met a few regular climbers that day and they seems nice. Danial told me he lost about 7 kg after 3 weeks climbing. How awesome is that!? I shall schedule next visit with my friends and want to try harder trails. Can you believe it? I'm actually excited over a sport. 


The Guest card.



see the different colours of rocks? when you climb you can only use a single colour only.



Naim is doing a side walking (or something like that) because instead of climbing up, you walked sideways.



Sophie tried this wall and Zoey was her belay. I want to try this wall next time.

IBNU ALFADLI OTHMAN

No comments:

Post a Comment